Photo: The rooftop terrace of a fairly typical host family, looking over Playa
Host family accommodation is available in Playa del Carmen throughout the year in local families carefully selected by our Accommodation Department.
The majority of our Mexican host families live in relatively new, one or two-storey houses, although some live in apartments. A typical house will have a living room/dining room, a kitchen and bathroom and 3 or 4 bedrooms. There is often a yard outside which people use as an extension of the house.
Note that very few families have air-conditioning, although most families will be able to provide their guest students with a fan.
The families will often have children or grandparents living with them so there is normally plenty of opportunity for conversation practice!
Most families live within a 20 minute walk from the school. Very occasionally a family may be up to 15-20 minutes from the school by public transport.
What your host family provides
- A single room (unless a couple both attending courses or individuals request to share), which are comfortably furnished, have adequate lighting and a desk or table where you can work
- A change of bed linen and towels weekly
- A daily bath or shower available
- An adequate continental breakfast and — if you are are being accommodated on a half-board basis — a substantial dinner at night.
- A door key so that you can let yourself in and out.
- Friendly and hospitable treatment as a family guest